ThruWave's mission is to make the invisible visible, with human-safe millimeter waves. Our customers include world leaders in the ecommerce and retail supply chain. ThruWave’s high throughput millimeter wave sensors are easy to deploy on existing conveyor and automated material handling lines. Our sensors provide 3D item-level visibility, looking through opaque packaging materials to see the items inside. ThruWave’s 3D vision software automatically analyzes these images to extract key process variables, such as item count, cube utilization, dimension, and detection of missing or damaged items. ThruWave's solutions address massive pain points for our key customers.
ThruWave has an opening for a Senior Computer Vision Engineer to contribute expertise in this field to analytics applied to the company’s millimeter wave imaging technology and associated sensors, including RGB and depth cameras. While computer vision often overlaps with machine learning, in particular we are looking for strong expertise with techniques and algorithms in image processing and/or machine vision methods to complement the machine learning expertise we have.
- Strong, demonstrated familiarity with 3D computer vision, in particular non-machine-learning approaches that might include topics such as image registration, feature recognition, object detection and segmentation, and pose estimation. This familiarity should include relevant pre-existing software packages/libraries.
- Experience analyzing numerical 3D datasets, both visually and computationally/statistically, and curiosity about datasets with an inherent desire to pursue sources of quirks and inconsistencies in data.
- Strong communication skills, enthusiasm, a propensity for writing documentation, and teamwork ability. This is not an independent researcher role – collaboration and communication are core aspects of the position.
- Highly detail-oriented, with initiative and drive to pursue tasks independently Time-management / multi-project juggling capability / troubleshooting and problem-solving abilities / flexibility and patience to stay positive when things don’t go as planned.
- Familiarity/experience with medical imaging (computer tomography, MRI, ultrasound, LIDAR, radar, and remote sensing systems.
- Familiarity/experience with computational imaging, computational geometry, 3D image reconstruction, and solving inverse problems.
- Familiarity/experience with software packages and tools of interest:
- OpenCV, Tensorflow.
- Keras, Pandas, Matplotlib, Jupyter.
- SQL, Docker, REST APIs, Python, Linux.
- Familiarity/experience with common software development processes and tools such as version control, issue tracking, programming environments, code style conventions, build tools, and testing.
- Familiarity/experience with Agile methodology and associated tools such as Jira.
- Contribute substantially to ThruWave’s expertise and processes in our core analytics that operates on 3D millimeter wave image scans and associated sensor data to provide automated, value-added results to customers
- Work on a team, collaborate on analyses and design planning, engage regularly in results-sharing meetings to compare and contrast algorithm implementations and performance; interact productively with teams across ThruWave with multidisciplinary skills.
- Process structured and unstructured datasets, acquire new datasets on ThruWave equipment as needed, be willing to clean and analyze data.
- Close collaboration with the software engineering team as we continually implement new models into production and follow industry best practices in software development processes.
- Protect ThruWave IP via contributing to patents and copyrights.
- Present results to partners, and to the industry via publication when approved.
- Occasional travel, less than two days per month on average, to customer sites to support ThruWave system deployment and debugging.
Education & Experience
Education: PhD with 1 year of relevant professional experience, or MS with 3 years of relevant professional experience, or exceptional cases of BS with 5 years of relevant professional experience and deep technical familiarity with the field. The degree should be in a relevant technical area such as CS, CE, EE, Stat, etc.
ThruWave is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.